Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

December 04, 2006

mad cows

Delores is 48 and has been separated from an abusive husband for five months. She has custody of their two children, plus a child from a previous marriage, and they all moved into a separate apartment when her husband became so violent that she feared for their lives.

"Unfortunately, my life became even more terrifying when I left my husband because he knows where I live and hounds me every night," explains Delores. "There is no peace in my life - or my children's - and I despair of ever being able to live a normal life again."

A restraining order didn’t restrain her husband, and poor Delores began to fall apart - which, of course, was his intention.

“All of this would have been bad enough had I not been working," says Delores, “but I was doing my best to hold down a customer service position and my usual friendly and calm service was sadly deteriorating.”

‘I know that every workplace seems to have either a sad sack or a mad cow, or both, " says Delores, “and I am just mortified that my estranged husband turned up at my workplace and made me look and act like the maddest cow you’ve ever seen.”

"The separation period is volatile for most women," explains Delores, "and divorce does not always close the book on a violent marriage. I just hope that one day all this madness will end and that my estranged husband gets help for his mental problems.”

Read more by Delores on this situation:

  • a wounded, divided life

  • menopausal mad cow

  • Sad sacks at work

  • mad old cows at work






  • Labels: , , , , ,