Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

January 10, 2007

aromatic memories


Nigella's divorce is coming up soon, and with a year of separation behind her she confesses that her survival during this period was due entirely to a very special man.

"While other people remember loved ones by photographs, gifts or songs," says Nigella, "I remember them by associated aromas."

"Fresh baked bread reminds me of my deceased grandmother, and the perfume of Anais Anais reminds me of Billy -- a very special man I met shortly after my husband had walked out on me and the kids for his secretary."

"I was an emotional mess and a girlfriend had nagged me into joining a ‘parents without partners’ group and it was the best thing I ever did because even if I had never met Billy at the group it was good for me and the kids to get out and about."

"The first of the group's activities I participated in was a picnic where there were more kids than adults," laughs Nigella. "The kids had a great time and I immediately felt relaxed with the other parents because they were just like me - sad and lonely."

"Billy came to the third function I attended - a small party at one of the parent's houses where the kids had a room to themselves."

"He wasn't a parent himself," laughs Nigella, 'he was just a single man that the hostess had dragged along for the occasion."

“I am so glad she did!”

"Our first outing alone with Billy was just before Xmas and on our way home from the movies Billy stopped at the shops and bought us all some presents. He had even paid for them to be especially wrapped!"

"My present was an expensive bottle of Anais Anais perfume," sighs Nigella, "and its perfume filled the car as soon as I had opened the bottle."

"He had brought a huge ray of sunshine into our lives - and it remained long after he left."

"I still carry that bottle of Anais Anais perfume in my handbag," smiles Nigella, "and every time I open it I remember Billy and the joy he brought into our lives."

Read more about Nigella's story:


  • perfume reminder of special friend
  • flash in the pan guys




  • Labels: , , ,