Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

October 08, 2007

cancer, separation then love


Venus’ marriage was not particularly strong, so she was hurt but not surprised when her husband walked out on her when she was diagnosed with breast cancer; and what might have been a terrible separation period for her actually turned out to be the most wonderful period in her life due to meeting a man going through similar cancer treatment.

"I was having marital troubles long before I was diagnosed with cancer," explains Venus, "and I felt that my husband would love me less when I had to have a mastectomy."

"Actually," laughs Venus, "I was absolutely right. He not only loved me less but walked out on me when I needed him most."

"I can laugh now because my life has taken a turn for the better," explains Venus, "but at the time I was stunned that someone who had vowed to love me in sickness and in health would desert me in my hour of need."

"My doctor told me that sometimes husbands do desert wives when they hear the big C word," says Venus, "but he also reassured me that I would be better off without such a man in my life at this time."

"My doctor was absolutely right," says Venus, "because dealing with cancer took all my energy and focus, and it was another man, a new lover, who provided me with all of the support and love I needed.”

Read more about Venus:

  • swim in a sea of love
  • I am not a pair of breasts




  • Labels: , , , , , ,