Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

November 04, 2007

a stress-free separation?

Hazel is 27, separated with one child, and has made so many changes to her life already -- in such a short space of time -- that it’s scary to hear she’s also planning on having another baby. The separation period is traditionally a time of new direction, but it’s not generally the ideal time to be creating another mouth to feed!

Hazel explains her new direction in terms of a spiritual calling.

"Everyone seems to think that spirituality can only be expressed in meditation and other introspective pursuits," explains Hazel, "but for me the epitome of spirituality is expressing love and creating life. I’m following a divine path. Having a baby is what makes me a divine woman."

Hazel is clearly doing so well as a new single working mom that the path she’s traveling is obviously the right one for her.

"My new employer is really enlightened," enthuses Hazel, "and that’s a definite bonus for women planning to expand their families."

"After 12 months of continuous employment I’ll be entitled to 12 weeks of paid maternity leave, and I can also take off as much unpaid leave as I need with the guarantee that my job will be there for me when I return to work after giving birth."

"Isn’t that great?" enthuses Hazel. "With such supportive conditions, why wouldn't I want to have another baby?"

"I deliberately chose this job over others available to me because it supported my future plans," explains Hazel.

Hazel had no hassles when her marriage broke up, and the divorce promises to be just as uneventful.

"My ex and I both have new partners," says Hazel, "and access visits and maintenance payments have gone ahead without a hitch."

"My ex plans on marrying his new partner when the divorce is finalized," says Hazel, "but my new guy and I have agreed on an ‘arrangement’ that allows us to continue leading single lives."

Marriage didn’t suit Hazel, but motherhood did.

"I really enjoyed pregnancy, giving birth and breastfeeding my little girl," says Hazel, "and I am so looking forward to having my second child."

"Being separated and a single mom is no big deal," says Hazel. "Life goes on as normal and the only real hassle in my life right now is having to wait a year before I can get pregnant - but that year will coincide with my divorce so I guess it all works out as it should."

"I feel it's important to give my little girl a brother or a sister," says Hazel, "and it shouldn’t matter that they have different fathers."

"In fact," laughs Hazel, "I believe that having two fathers will be a decided plus in my children’s lives!"

With a new job, a new man and a stress-free separation it looks like Hazel has it all together and can look forward to getting everything she wants.

She has been blessed with the green light all the way.

"When the universe blesses you with a green light, as it has for me," explains Hazel, "it’s not only a sign that you’re on the right spiritual path but it’s also a sign that you must make the most of your good fortune by asking for everything you want."

"Spirituality is not about suffering and deprivation, it’s about joy and creation - and that's why pregnancy and childbirth are so sacred to me."

(Hazel's story first appeared as all she wants is another baby! and is reprinted with permission.)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,