Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

July 07, 2008

amicable divorce sham

Four years after what Selma considered to be an amicable divorce her ex-mother in law died unexpectedly at the early age of 58, and what unfolded from this event proved to resolve many issues.

“I was married for six years and my ex-husband’s mother made my life a living hell,” says Selma. “She was mentally ill and totally dominated not only her son, but me, too.”

“I called my ex to offer my help with anything he needed to do and his reaction was so uncharacteristically mean and cruel that it was another sweet justice when he later married a woman who did to him not only what he unjustly accused me of trying to do to him (i.e. coming on to him because he had inherited a small fortune) but who also treated him with as much cruelty as his mother had once treated me!”

“Up until that telephone call I had never held my ex responsible for his mother’s behavior or considered he might have inherited her mental problems,” says Selma, “but afterwards I realized that he could have done a great deal to stop her harassing me, but he didn’t and probably saw her behavior towards me as being okay.”

“I then understood that he had never cherished me, or was incapable of such feelings – that’s why he let me go so easily,” says Selma, “and that being the case, the two miscarriages I suffered were a blessing in disguise, not just for me but for the babies themselves.”

“So, although the telephone call turned out to be very painful, it also turned out to be very enlightening, ridding me of any lingering doubt and guilt about my role in the marital breakup.”


Read more by Selma on this issue:




  • Sweet Justice




  • It’s a jungle out there!




  • caring for mad mother in law





  • Labels: , , , , , , , , ,