Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

August 29, 2012

flash in the pan guys

Nigella's divorce is coming up soon, and with a year of separation behind her she remembers Billy -- the first guy she met on the 'newly singles' scene. He made a very inappropriate marriage proposal to her, shortly after their meeting, swept in and out of her life like a flash in a pan, but despite this, he did restore her confidence as a desirable woman and brought a ray of sunshine into her life that she sorely needed.

"Billy rang me every day after we first met,” says Nigella. “We had several family outings, and because I felt so safe and comfortable with him I agreed to take the kids for a weekend away with him to stay with his mother and youngest sister in the countryside."

"His mom had prepared a room for the kids and I, and she was warmer to me than my own mother," sighs Nigella. "Her old country house smelled of onions - it wasn't an unpleasant aroma - it was very homely and down to earth."

"She urged me to join Billy and his sister for a night out while she looked after the children - and because everything was so perfect I agreed."

"Billy's youngest sister was a singer at the local club and Billy joined her on stage with his guitar," related Nigella. "They put on a stunning performance and I couldn't believe that I was where I was - and so happy - when only a few weeks ago I was as depressed as anyone could be."

"Early next morning Billy and I went for a walk alone in the woods while the kids were eating breakfast, and he surprised me by asking me to marry him."

"I told him that I needed time - and not just for the divorce to come through," says Nigella, "and he understood."

"Because it was so late when we returned home, I asked Billy to stay the night at my house."

"We tried to make love but Billy couldn't make it," says Nigella, "and my heart wasn't in it either. It was far too early for me to get involved with another man and I really wasn’t into him that way."

"He didn't call the next day - or the day after - and wondering what had happened I called him and he was very quiet and distant," says Nigella. "I gained the distinct impression that he had changed his mind about me - it was all a flash in a pan - and I didn't pester him for an explanation.”

“Frankly, I was glad he had cooled off."

"Later, I heard on the grapevine that Billy had taken up with another lady," says Nigella, "and I was very happy for him."

“Some friendships are really not meant to develop into hot sex!”

Read more about Nigella's story:


  • aromatic memories
  • perfume reminder of special friend