Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

September 30, 2012

jealous of husband's career

Delilah is 52, married with adult children living independently, and rather than being able to enjoy the empty nest with her husband and forge ahead with a career that has always been held back because of motherly duties, she's being forced to swallow a bitter pill – ageism at work - and she is jealous of her husband's career and the fact that age is no barrier for him and men generally.

“That more and more women like me are being forced to swallow this bitter pill at an earlier age than expected in terms of their working lives is a shocking experience,” says Delilah. "Had I known long ago that I would end up on the scrapheap I would not have put my husband and children first in my life."

"Women like me expected to be productive and well esteemed members of the workforce until we were at least 65," says Delilah, "and I'm finding it really demoralizing to be treated like a geriatric at my age. 52 is young, right?"

“My husband is doing well at work, not facing any ageism, and even though I do have the option to quit work and stay home, I don’t want to,” says Delilah. “I have always worked, and now that the children have grown up and left home and we’re in an empty nest, I really need a real career to keep me sane - not just a fill-in job to make a bit of extra money.”

“The house is paid off and we have no debt, so I don’t want a job for money,” explains Delilah. “I want a job for ME.”

“I just don’t have much to do at home now that the children have left home – and it is so cruel that at this time in my life, when I am so ready to give 100% attention to my career, that I am being sidelined by the young things.”

"To make matters worse, my husband doesn't understand. He says it's enough that he has a career and I should be happy to support him in it."

"Hello?"

Read more about Delilah:



  • ageism and bitter pills
  • pushed into early retirement
  • breeding monsters