Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

November 10, 2012

an arrangement with the boss


Carol, 41, is a very attractive mother of two who, when she first separated, got by without dating with the help of an arrangement she had with a married man -- her boss!

"When you're suddenly single with young kids in tow, the only dating you’re likely to do is so embarrassing and fraught with difficulties that if you don't have an arrangement with an ‘accommodating’ man in your life then you may as well wait until the kids are teenagers to start dating in style," laughs Carol, "and who better than a married man who's also your boss?"

"It really does affect children adversely to see their mother going out with different guys," explains Carol, "and if you can’t find an ‘accommodating’ man who keeps out of your home life then there’s nothing wrong with celibacy."

"Lots of my single mom girlfriends were celibate for many years when their children were young," says Carol, "and there’s no truth in the old ‘use or lose it’ admonition - they had no trouble getting back into a relationship when their children were older."

"Anyway," explains Carol, "celibacy wasn't the right option for me - an arrangement with my boss suited me better. I had him all day and his wife had him at night!"

"It worked out very well for me," says Carol, "but when my children turned 13 and 14 I had an urge to spread my wings, get back into the swing of life and do some good old-fashioned dating."

"No, I wasn’t looking for another husband," explains Carol. "I just wanted to play the field and inject some excitement into my life."

More than anything else, Carol wanted a social life. The separation period and the arrangement with her boss had denied her simple pleasures such as dining out, dancing, parties and even walking out in public with him.

"Although a few people at work guessed what was going on, it had all been very hush-hush outside the office," explains Carol. "Not just to protect my children and their father but to spare his wife's feelings, too."

"My boss, John, wasn't very happy with my decision to break up with him, and neither was I, particularly," sighs Carol, "but it had to be done. The comfortable rut we had fallen into was stifling me."

At this poignant point in her life Carol was delighted when Ken, a charming man-about-town, came into her life and took her under his wing. He was the perfect person to cheer her up and introduce her into the party scene.


Read more about Carol:


  • a platonic friendship sours