Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

November 12, 2012

pregnant nesting


Shania, 21, had no intention of leaving work or changing residence after she learned she was pregnant, but once the hormones kicked in she was amazed by the overwhelming nesting instinct that began to dominate her life and bamboozle her husband!

"My husband Gray and I didn't have much money," says Shania, "but that didn't deter me from going ahead and satisfying that crazy urge I felt to have a home we could call our own."

"Gray tried to talk me out of my nesting instinct -- suggesting that we should wait a few years until we had saved up enough money for a decent place -- but rational talk is no match for the instincts of a nesting mom!"

"When I should have been working I was scouring the Internet for houses," says Shania, "and finally, when I was five months pregnant, I found a very cheap house near where we presently rented an apartment and I secretly arranged an appointment to view it after work."

"It was an absolute dump," laughs Shania, "but in my hormone induced nesting frenzy I fell in love with the place. It was the first and only house I had inspected -- everything else was way out of our league."

"The estate agent told me that the little bit of money we had was probably enough for a deposit -- and if we were prepared to take out two mortgage we could have the house."

"I went home from the inspection absolutely determined to persuade Gray into buying the house," laughs Shania, "and he caved in easier than I had expected him to."

"With jut four months to go before the baby was due I did another crazy thing," laughs Shania. "I quit my job."

"I was far more interested in preparing for the baby and the big move to our very first home to care much about work."

"Gray took on a second job to make up for my lost wages," explains Shania, "and he left all the arrangements to me."

"Those last four months of pregnancy were absolutely crazy times for me," sighs Shania "There was a hitch in the purchase of the house - we had trouble getting a second mortgage - and our landlord wasn't happy that we wanted an extension of our tenancy agreement."

"Eventually I realized that we wouldn't be able to move into the house until after the baby was born -- so I just concentrated on packing our stuff and making plans for the new house."

"Knowing that we were moving out shortly, our landlord caused me a lot of misery in my last two months of pregnancy," sighs Shania. "He wanted to do a refurbishment and I had to put up with a builder banging away during the day."

"I couldn't complain because he had given us the apartment very cheaply on an extended lease."

"I got through those months by dreaming about life with a new baby in a new home - even if it was a dump!"

"Had someone told me nine months ago that I would be having a baby leaving my job and buying a dump I would have called them crazy," laughs Shania, "but it all happened and you can't beat Nature when it comes to the power of the pregnant nesting instinct.

"I've never been so happy in my life!"