Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

November 11, 2012

till death do us part


Emily is 36 and knows all about loss. She lost her husband to a pre-existing rare form of cancer in 1998 -- a situation she was not fully aware of -- and the memory of their short-lived marriage and the horror she went through as a caregiver still haunt her.

"I am over Mark's death as much as anyone can get over the death of a loved one," explains Emily. "It was the daily experience of caring for him in the last years of his life that brings back painful memories. It was a terrible time for me. I was way too young to have to go through all of that stuff - and it was something I never expected when I married him ."

"Mark and I never had children because of his disease, but I had no idea that his disease was terminal - that it would kill him," explains Emily "I still feel a bit cheated, but I'm coping as best I can.”

"I'm not saying that I wouldn't have married Mark had I known the truth," says Emily. "I just feel that I wasn't given a chance to make an informed decision."

"After Mark died I didn't really experience the denial stage of the recovery process because I'd known for a while that he was dying," says Emily. "It was a relief to realize that his death would end his suffering. But, of course, my suffering went on.”

"I remember when I first heard the truth about Mark's illness," says Emily, "I made all sorts of bargains with God to spare him, it’s a natural thing to do. When he died there was no bargaining left for me to do. His death relieved me of a great deal of the suffering I went through watching him waste away."

"Mark's family should really have taken responsibility for his care - not me," says Emily. "A wife may expect to care for a dying husband when she's in her 70s or 80s after fifty years of marriage. I was far too young - and not married long enough - to go through all the suffering that caregiving brings with it."

Read more about Emily:


  • surviving death of a loved one
  • depression or healthy misery?
  • young widow moves forward